Attention Maltese designers, architects, artists, digital experts, scientists, entrepreneurs, engineers and students. An initiative…
Since joining the European Union Malta took a huge step forward. However, membership alone is not a guarantee in itself. We need to use EU tools correctly to our advantage. I, Peter Agius, pledge to work hard to deliver these 7 concrete results to you starting from the first year of my work, if you trust me with your vote:
- Those who feed us. I will promote Maltese produce and Maltese producers. Farmers, Fishermen and livestock breeders cannot continue to be expected to follow EU rules without reaping any reward.
- Youths and opportunities. Our ambition must be that each and every Maltese and Gozitan youth exploits Erasmus+ for work, traineeships, studying abroad, an experience which enriches us personally and as a nation.
- Maltese competitiveness. Innovation, industry and EU funds. We can benefit much more from EU funds (including direct funds) by investing more on research and innovation. I will take a strong position against European taxes which would undermine our competitiveness in areas such as financial services and gaming.
- Public service employees. I already presented proposals for more autonomy and meritocracy in the public sector. I will make sure that these will be implemented by acting as a shield for public service officials and public service in general.
- Our identity in Europe. Our Christian values, our language, pastimes (including hunting and trapping) and our traditions. Europe must embrace Maltese identity and not impose a cap that does not fit us.
- Small businesses and entrepreneurship. We joined the EU for just and fair I will fight against practices by government and external actors which distort competition. I will do my utmost to truly represent small businesses and entrepreneurs in Brussels.
- Immigration. Malta is still exposed to the risks of irregular immigration in thousands from Africa. I will work to ensure that Europe shows true solidarity on this issue and I will insist on the application of rules in the case of those who do not have the right to stay in Malta by being returned in a safe environment.